Principal Investigator in the EVICT project
Prof. dr. Michel Vols (the Hague, the Netherlands) is the Principal Investigator in the EVICT project and full professor of law at the University of Groningen. His main fields of research are housing law, human rights, public safety, and legal methodology. He received several grants and awards including an ERC Starting Grant (1.5 million euros) and a Dutch VENI-grant (250.000 euros).
Michel is a member of the national Young Academy of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences (KNAW) and a board member of the Dutch Lawyers Association. He likes working on interdisciplinary projects, traveling around the globe, and cooking (and eating) Indonesian food.
Prof. dr. Michel Vols
Principal investigator, Professor of Public Order Law
- No social media
- Medvedeva, M., Wieling, M. & Vols, M. Rethinking the field of automatic prediction of court decisions. Artif Intell Law (2022). https://doi.org/
- Vols, M. (2021). Legal Research: One hundred questions and answers. Eleven International Publishing. https://www.
Medvedeva, M., Dam, T., Wieling, M., & Vols, M. (2021). Automatically identifying eviction cases and outcomes within case law of Dutch Courts of First Instance. In E. Schweighofer (Ed.), Legal Knowledge and Information Systems (pp. 13-22). (Frontiers in Artificial Intelligence and Applications; Vol. 346). IOS Press. https://ebooks.
- Medvedeva, M., Üstün, A., Xu, X., Vols, M., & Wieling, M. (2021). Automatic judgement forecasting for pending applications of the European Court of Human Rights. In K. D. Ashley, K. Atkinson, L. K. Branting, E. Francesconi, M. Grabmair, V. R. Walker, B. Waltl, & A. Zachary Wyner (Eds.), Proceedings of the Fifth Workshop on Automatec Semantic Analysis of Information in Legal Text (ASAIL 2021) (pp. 12-23). CEUR Workshop Proceedings. https://pure.rug.
nl/ws/portalfiles/portal/ 189865814/Medvedeva_ASAIL2021_ 1_.pdf
- Vols, M., & Kusumawati, E. D. (2020). The International Right to Housing, Evictions and the Obligation to Provide Alternative Accommodation, Asia-Pacific Journal on Human Rights and the Law, 21(2), 237-269. https://brill.com/
Vols, M. (2020). Voortdurend Verhuizen: De Impact Van Het Kinderrechtenverdrag Op Huisuitzettingen In Het Privaat- En Bestuursrecht. NJCM Bulletin. Nederlands Tijdschrift voor de Mensenrechten, 45(1), 3-24. https://pure.rug.nl/ws/
portalfiles/portal/195071072/ 4215A_148E_9B_936C_03E_F_E_6E_ 1C_D_0E_B_3752_pdf.pdf
- Medvedeva, M., Vols, M., & Wieling, M. (2020). Using machine learning to predict decisions of the European Court of Human Rights. Artificial Intelligence and Law, 28(2), 237-266. https://doi.org/10.1007/
Vols, M., Belloir, A., Hoffmann, M., & Zuidema, A. (2019). Common trends in eviction research: a systematic literature review. In M. Vols, & C. Schmid (Eds.), Houses, Homes and the Law (pp. 1-88). (Studies in Housing Law; Vol. 3). Eleven International Publishing. https://papers.
Vols, M. (2019). European law and private evictions: property, proportionality and vulnerable people. European Review of Private Law, 27(4), 719-752. https://pure.rug.nl/
ws/portalfiles/portal/ 99693063/European_Law_and_ Evictions_Property_ proportionality_and_ vulnerable_people_Vols_ERPL_ 2019.pdf